Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Clean Eating for the New Year



A brand-spankin’-bright-n-shiny New Year has begun.  Despite having just survived a 2016 that sometimes seemed to be more a series of battles than a normal, peaceful life, I’m looking forward to having a 2017 that is a bit more sane!

Over the past two years, the Hubster and I have had a couple of fairly serious health problems crop up that have culminated in tons of research into – What The Heck Happened To Us??!! 

First, I started having severe attacks of diverticulitis.  Then my husband contracted severe and sudden onset of Rheumatoid Arthritis.  The end of 2016 now finds me missing 14” of my colon and my husband is in the process of recovering from a full knee replacement.

When your entire world turns upside down, naturally you ask a lot of questions.  I needed to know how to deal with our ailments, what caused our health problems, how to prevent more, and on and on.  I learned that Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune problem and no one seems to know what the actual cause is.  With the diverticulitis, I learned that most people over the age of 50 have diverticula (pockets) in their colon, but for some reason a few people go on to have those pockets become infected (diverticulitis).  Most of those people never have the diverticulitis come back, but a few people keep having the problem and no one really seems to know why that is. 

So, while I don’t have any real answers to the how or why we suddenly had these serious health problems appear, the result of looking for those answers did lead me to believe that it is possible that our food and environment may well be a major contributing factor to our illnesses … and many of the health problems that are mushrooming throughout our entire population.


For starters, I’ve been working on “clean” eating.  Organic and Non-GMO.  I’ve always been a gardener, so that was already part of our eating habits.  Sourcing other parts of our diet and getting chemicals out of our food – that’s the harder part but I’ve noticed it gets easier every day and that’s great!  It means more people are waking up to the sad fact that our world is poisonous. 

Oh, I haven’t stopped making cupcakes.  Nope.  That’s just not gonna happen!  J   Even though we’re trying to eat clean now, that doesn’t mean giving up goodies.  It just means I’m making my cupcakes and all the other assorted goodies with “better” ingredients now.  Organic and Non-GMO whenever possible, because .. you know .. well, cupcakes, cookies, cakes, pies, and the like are TREATS, not food required for physical sustenance.  Just mental sustenance. 

I’d like to add a few ideas about making the change to clean eating to my blog now because I’ve become a real believer and, if nothing else, I hope to help spread the word and encourage others to start making changes that might just help prevent future health problems.

Leave me a comment to let me know if you’ve been thinking about eating clean, wondering about it, or have already made changes!    

No comments:

Post a Comment